Controlling Tree Root Growth: How to Manage and Prevent Your Yard from Being Taken Over by Roots
Date May 24, 2022
If you’re like most homeowners, you love the look of trees in your yard; that is until you see the roots taking over! Tree root growth can quickly become a problem, and before you know it your yard is covered in tree roots, or worse – they’re starting to affect things like your foundation! In this blog post, we’ll discuss how to control tree root growth and keep your yard looking great!
When Tree Roots Start to Take Over Your Yard
You’ll Notice Signs Like the Following:
- tree roots growing through cracks in your foundation
- tree roots lifting or heaving your sidewalk or driveway
- tree roots causing plumbing problems, like clogged sewer line
What to Do About It
If you have tree roots invading your soil, the first thing you should do is call a tree care expert. They will be able to assess the situation and determine the best course of action. Tree root management is a tricky business, and it’s best left to the professionals!
In some cases, tree root removal may not be necessary. Tree roots can often be managed with good tree care. If you have tree roots that are causing problems in your yard, be sure to contact a tree care expert for help!
What Are Invasive Roots?
The first step in tree root control is to identify whether you have an issue with invasive roots. Invasive tree roots are those that aggressively spread out and wreak havoc on your yard, sidewalk, driveway, or foundation. On the other hand, non-invasive tree roots typically stay close to the tree trunk and don’t cause much damage.
There are several tree species that are notorious for having invasive roots, including:
- – Silver maples (Acer saccharinum)
- – Willows (Salix spp.)
- – Sycamore (Platanus occidentalis)
- – Bradford pears (Pyrus calleryana)
How to Control Tree Root Growth
Once you’ve identified that you have tree roots invading your property, it’s time to take action! There are several tree root control methods you can use, including:
- Tree growth regulators: This method involves the application of products that reduce the growth of the entire tree, including the roots. This can proactively help keep the roots from interfering with the rest of the property. One treatment lasts as long as three years.
- Cutting tree roots: This method involves physically cutting the tree roots with a saw or other sharp tool. In inexperienced hands, this option can risk great harm to the tree. Be sure to call your local tree care experts at TreeNewal to handle this dangerous task.
- Barrier methods: This tree root control method involves creating a physical barrier between the tree roots and your property. The barrier can be made of concrete, metal, plastic, or even fabric.
How to Prevent Invasive Tree Root Growth?
The best way to prevent tree root growth is to have your trees regularly inspected by tree care experts. Tree care experts can identify potential problems and take steps to prevent tree root growth before it becomes a problem. They can also provide you with tips on how to properly care for your trees so that they stay healthy and don’t become a problem in the future.
If tree roots are already causing problems on your property, it’s important to take action as soon as possible. tree root growth can quickly become out of control and cause significant damage to your property. Tree care experts can help you determine the best course of action for your particular situation. Don’t let tree roots take over your yard – contact a tree care expert today!
If you need advice or assistance with tree growth or root care, get in touch with the ISA-Certified Arborists at TreeNewal and enjoy tailored tree care advice.
We’re a little different than the average tree services company.
Learn more about TreeNewal’s ISA Certified Arborists!
Healthy trees, healthy lives.