Tree Planting Tips for Commercial Landscapes: Right Tree, Right Place
Date October 06, 2022
If you’re a commercial property owner in North Texas, you know that having trees on your property is essential. Not only do they add curb appeal and raise property value, but they also play a crucial role in the environment. Trees provide shade in the summer and help to control erosion. But before you can enjoy the benefits of trees, you need a plan. There are many things to consider when planting trees in commercial landscapes, such as climate and soil type. In this blog post, we’ll offer tree planting tips for commercial landscapes and discuss everything that goes into DFW commercial tree care.
Commercial vs. Residential Tree Planting
There’s much more to commercial landscaping than just choosing trees. A sustainable commercial landscaping project requires careful planning and consideration. With the right resources and forethought, you can create a thriving landscape that makes your outdoor space beautiful and inviting, cut down energy costs, increase curb appeal, and generate more revenue for retail spaces.
Commercial Tree Planting Tips:
What’s Your Goal?
All trees should serve a purpose, whether that’s for shade, privacy, or aesthetic value. Determine what you want from your commercial landscaping project first so you can achieve your intended results and set yourself up for success.
Choose the Right Tree
Not all trees work well in commercial landscapes. Commercial property owners should choose trees that are native or adaptable to the DFW ecosystem. Doing so will reduce problems associated with common tree pests and diseases and ensure they can withstand North Texas heat and drought stress.
- Choosing hardy, low-maintenance trees will help reduce tree care expenses and promote the longevity of your trees.
- Great options for commercial landscapes in Dallas are Cedar elm, Bigtooth maple, Chinese pistache, Crape myrtle, and oak species like Liveoak, Shumard oak, and Chinkapin oak. These trees are hardy, have exceptional tolerance to heat and drought, and are some of the fastest growing trees in Dallas.
Choose the Right Location
Location is critical when it comes to commercial landscaping. Planting a tree in a poor location can risk the safety of your property. If it outgrows the initial area, it may need to be removed, resulting in a waste of time and money.
- Mature size – one of the most common mistakes commercial property owners make when planting trees is that they underestimate the size of the full-grown tree. A sapling won’t stay that small for long, and when it grows too large for its space, it can interfere with power lines, obstruct traffic, and damage nearby buildings.
- Canopy spread – how wide will the tree grow? Uncontrolled canopy growth can interfere with overhead utility lines, obstruct signage, and interfere with parking.
- Root spread – certain trees have aggressive root systems that can damage concrete pathways, underground irrigation, and property foundations. Some tree species with invasive roots include willows, Norway maples, American elms, and Ash.
- Trees should be planted at least 25 feet away from overhead power and utility lines, concrete structures, pathways, and other trees to accommodate their mature size.
- Many trees also need specific light and water requirements. Planting trees that need full sunlight in a shady location with poor drainage will lead to additional problems.
Set Your Trees Up for Success
Growing conditions are often overlooked when it comes to commercial tree planting.
- Most North Texas soil is alkaline (high pH), so choosing an adaptable tree native to Dallas/Fort Worth will be your best option.
- The soil on commercial sites may contain more lime, pollutants, or other minerals compared to residential landscapes, which can inhibit the uptake of nutrients from the soil, leading to nutrient deficiencies.
- Commercial properties often experience heavy foot traffic, which causes soil compaction and poor drainage.
- Before tree planting, have a Dallas tree care specialist conduct soil testing and evaluation to help determine your soil’s condition and whether it needs to be amended before planting trees.
With so many variables to consider, commercial tree planting can be daunting. But with the experience and knowledge of an ISA Certified Arborist, it doesn’t have to be. A TreeNewal tree care specialist can help determine which trees are best suited for your commercial property and the optimal location for tree planting. They’ll also provide you with a comprehensive tree maintenance plan so you can get the most out of your investment. Get started by calling (817) 592-6846 today.
Commercial Tree Care
Commercial landscaping doesn’t stop at just planting trees. To protect your investment and enjoy the full benefits of your commercial landscaping efforts, you need to take care of them. At a minimum, trees need trimming and pruning, and tree nutrition and fertilization every year at the appropriate times. Depending on various conditions, your trees may also need insect and disease management services.
While this may deter property owners from planting trees, it’s important to remember the vital role urban forests play in North Texas. Apart from the increased curb appeal and revenue and reduced energy costs, trees on commercial properties minimize erosion and flooding, clean the air, and provide habitats for beneficial insects, birds, and wildlife. With a comprehensive tree care plan, you can maximize the many benefits of trees on your commercial property for years to come.
DFW Commercial Tree Care Services
Besides helping you plan your commercial landscape, TreeNewal provides commercial tree care services like tree trimming and pruning, tree nutrition, insect and disease management, soil conditioning, tree surveys and mitigation, and more. Our top priority is to promote North Texas tree health and provide industry-leading customer service to commercial and residential property owners in DFW. Contact a tree care specialist today to learn more!
TreeNewal is a full-service sustainable tree care company offering residential and commercial tree services in Dallas, Argyle, Denton, Fort Worth, Flower Mound, Southlake, and Westlake. Contact our Dallas tree care specialists today at (817) 592-6846 and enjoy tailored tree care advice and the best tree health services in North Texas!
We’re a little different than the average tree services company.
Learn more about TreeNewal’s ISA Certified Arborists!
Healthy trees, healthy lives.