What is Humic Acid Used For?: The Many Benefits of This Organic Substance
Date June 11, 2022
Organic substances are becoming more and more popular in today’s society. People are looking for ways to improve their health, their environment, and even their trees with organic products. One of the most popular organic substances is humic acid. What is it? What are its benefits? How can it be used? In this blog post, we will answer all of those questions and more to help you improve the health of your trees and protect them from pests and diseases.
What Is Humic Acid?
Humic acid is a dark brown or black organic substance that is found in soil, water, and even some plants. It is made up of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and other minerals. Humic acid has a high concentration of fulvic acids, which are known for their ability to bind to nutrients and make them more available to plants. Humic acid has been used in tree care since the early 1900s. Its recent resurgence in popularity is thanks to the changing societal preferences. Other non-gardening uses for humic acid include:
- Animal Feed Additive: Humic acid has been shown to improve the digestion of livestock, leading to increased weight gain.
- Water Treatment: Humic acid can be used to remove heavy metals and other toxins from water.
- Human Supplement: Some people take humic acid supplements to improve their health. It is thought to boost the immune system, reduce inflammation, and promote healthy cell growth. Always get a doctor’s opinion first before adding any supplements to your diet.
What Are the Benefits of Humic Acid?
Humic acid has many benefits that make it a great choice for those looking to improve the health of their trees.
- One of the most notable benefits is its ability to improve the uptake of nutrients by plants. This is due to the fact that humic acid can bind to nutrients and make them more available to plants.
- Humic acid, with the help of soil microorganisms, develops robust root systems, including root hairs that grow deep underground for moisture and nutrients.
- Additionally, humic acid can help improve the structure of the soil, increase the water-holding capacity of the soil, and reduce compaction.
These qualities make humic acid ideal for use in tree care.
How Can You Use Humic Acid for Trees?
There are many ways that you can use humic acid to improve the health of your trees.
Add to the Soil
One way is to add it to the soil around your trees as a soil conditioner or fertilizer. This will help improve the uptake of nutrients by the roots and also improve the structure of the soil.
Another way to use humic acid is through foliar spraying. This involves mixing it with water and then spraying it onto the leaves of your trees. Foliar spraying can help improve the health of your trees by providing them with additional nutrients and improving their ability to fight off pests and diseases.
Another way to use humic acid is through soil injections, applied as a soil conditioner with fertilizer. Soil injections can help improve the health of your trees by providing them with soil conditioning and nutrients, helping to prevent pests and diseases from attacking the tree.
Can You Apply Too Much Humic Acid?
Yes, it is possible to apply too much humic acid. If you do, you may see the leaves of your trees turn yellow or brown. This is because the leaves are not able to absorb all of the nutrients that are being supplied by the humic acid. If you see this happening, stop using humic acid and water your trees well.
TreeNewal Can Help!
As you can see, humic acid is a great organic substance that can be used to improve the health of your trees. If you are looking for ways to protect your trees from pests and diseases, or if you simply want to improve the health of your soil, consider using humic acid. TreeNewal is here to help you with all of your tree care needs. Contact us today to learn more about our services. We look forward to hearing from you!
If you need advice or assistance with how humic acid can benefit your North Texas trees, get in touch with the ISA Certified Arborists at TreeNewal and enjoy tailored tree care advice.
We’re a little different than the average tree services company.
Learn more about TreeNewal’s ISA Certified Arborists!
Healthy trees, healthy lives.